- Sourdough bread, cut into 1″ cubes (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 summer squash, sliced on a diagonal
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1″ cubes (use red, orange, or yellow for nice color!)
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes cut in half, or chopped heirloom or slicing tomatoes
- 1/2 onion, cut in 1″ cubes
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves, cut in strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a baking sheet, spread out the chopped garlic, onion, squash, peppers and tomatoes and coat with one tablespoon olive oil. Roast for 15-18 minutes, stirring once, until just starting to soften and release juices.
- In a large frying pan, heat the remaining two tablespoons of oil. Toss in the bread cubes and season lightly with salt and freshly-ground pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the cubes are crusty and slightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- To make vinaigrette dressing, firmly whisk together all ingredients until blended. Season to your tastes with salt and pepper.
- In your serving bowl, toss together the bread cubes and vegetables. Pour dressing over the bread and vegetable mixture and then set aside for thirty minutes to let it absorb the flavors. Before serving, stir in strips of fresh basil.