yield: Makes 6 servings
- 1 head of escarole, torn into large bite-size pieces (about 8 cups)
- 2 bacon slices
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 5.5-ounce log soft fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled
Divide escarole among 6 plates. Cook bacon in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain; reserve skillet with bacon drippings. Finely chop bacon; set aside.
Whisk olive oil and vinegar in small bowl to blend. Heat bacon drippings in skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; sauté until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add olive oil mixture and whisk just until heated through, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle vinaigrette over escarole. Sprinkle with eggs, goat cheese, and bacon.
Adapted from epicurious.com