Recipe adapted from Marcella Says (2004) by Marcella Hazan
2 oz. (about ½ heaping cup) whole, roasted almonds
2 whole garlic cloves, peeled
4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. grated pecorino romano cheese
½ cup tightly packed fresh arugula leaves
¼ tsp. dried red chile pepper flakes
3 to 4 firm, fresh plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 tsp. fine sea salt
Put all ingredients in a food processor and process to a creamy consistency. Taste and correct for salt. Toss with drained pasta that is still piping hot in a warm bowl. Serve immediately.
Makes enough pesto for 1 pound of pasta.
This was always very popular at The Breadworks. Nice and spicy is best. Lots of red pepper flakes!
Also refreshing made with fresh mint leaves. Yum!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 bunch radishes, greens discarded and radishes halved lengthwise, then sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bunches arugula, coarse stems discarded and cut into 2-inch lengths
Heat butter with oil in an 8-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté radishes with salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes. Add water and cook, covered, until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes, then cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid is evaporated, 1 to 4 minutes. Add arugula and sauté, stirring, until wilted, about 1 minute.
Adapted from epicurious.com
2 baby fennel bulbs, trimmed and quartered
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
½ cup chicken stock
Handful of arugula
2-4 oz. marinated feta, crumbled
¼ small red onion, very thinly sliced
¼ large red chilli, thinly sliced
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- Heat 2 tbs of oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add fennel and cook, turning, for 2-3 minutes or until fennel caramelizes a little, season with salt and pepper.
- Add balsamic vinegar and chicken stock, cover and cook for 8 -10 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer braised fennel to a bowl, add arugula, feta, red onion, chili, lemon rind and dress with olive oil. Toss gently to serve.
This is a great use for the bag of arugula in your share this week!
1/2 lb. arugula (the whole bag in the share)
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
a couple cloves of garlic
1. Toast the walnuts in a pan over medium heat until lightly brown.
2. In a food processor, combine the arugula, walnuts, Parmesan, salt, and garlic. Pulse while drizzling the olive oil into the processor.
3. Scrape the pesto into a bowl and enjoy as a topping for pasta, a sandwich spread, or any other way you would use basil pesto.
4. Optionally, you could add basil or mint to the arugula pesto.