- 2 acorn squash, halved lengthwise, seeded
- 1 cup dried cranberries or currants
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 8 ounces fresh wild mushrooms (such as shiitake), stemmed, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 2 cup fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 425°F. Bake squash halves face down until soft. Turn squash halves cut side up. Season cavities with salt and pepper.
Combine dried cranberries and hot water in small bowl. Melt 6 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion and sage and sauté until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add breadcrumbs and stir until crumbs brown lightly, about 3 minutes. Mix in cranberries with soaking liquid. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Mound stuffing into squash halves. Dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Bake until heated through and crisp on top, about 10 minutes.