Roasted carrots, parsnips, and celeriac add great depth of flavor to this unique stuffing. Recipes for the homemade cornbread and the stuffing are included here:
CORNBREAD FOR DRESSING
Makes 12 cups of 1/2 inch cubed cornbread.
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
Preheat oven to 400°F. Generously butter 9x9x2-inch metal baking pan. Whisk buttermilk, eggs, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in large bowl until well blended. Whisk in cornmeal, then melted butter. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
Bake cornbread until top is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 23 minutes. Cool cornbread in pan on rack. DO AHEAD: Cornbread can be made 1 day ahead. Cool completely, cover, and store at room temperature.
- 1 lb. shallots, cut into wedges
- 2 1/2 cups 1/2-inch-thick diagonal slices peeled carrots (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 1/2 cups 1/2-inch-thick diagonal slices peeled parsnips (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled celeriac (about 3/4 pound)
- 2/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 pound crimini (baby bella) mushrooms, stemmed, caps halved
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried crushed rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 6 cups 1/2-inch cubes cornbread (see recipe below)
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 425°F. Place shallots, carrots, parsnips, and celeriac in single layer on large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle 1/3 cup oil over and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Place mushrooms and garlic on another rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with remaining 1/3 cup oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Roast root vegetables until tender and brown around edges, stirring every 15 minutes, about 1 hour. Roast mushrooms and garlic until tender, stirring once, about 30 minutes. Place root vegetables and mushrooms in large bowl. Place garlic in small bowl; mash with fork until pureed. Add pureed garlic, thyme, rosemary, and sage to vegetables; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Vegetable mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cool vegetables, cover, and chill. Bring mixture to room temperature before continuing.
Place cornbread cubes on large rimmed baking sheet. Let bread cubes stand at room temperature to dry slightly, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 13x9x2- inch oval baking dish. Add cornbread cubes to vegetables; toss to distribute evenly. Add eggs; toss to coat. Drizzle with melted butter; toss to coat. Add broth and stir to combine (mixture will be very moist). Transfer mixture to prepared dish.
Bake dressing uncovered until lightly browned and crisp around edges, about 45 minutes.