- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 head of red-leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 large (outer) celery ribs, very thinly sliced on a long diagonal (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup tender inner celery leaves, coarsely chopped
Simmer water and onion in a small saucepan, uncovered, until onion is softened and most of water is evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Purée in a blender with vinegar, caraway seeds, sugar, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. With motor running, add oil in a slow stream and blend until dressing is emulsified.
Combine lettuce, celery, and celery leaves in a large bowl and toss with just enough dressing to coat.
Adapted from epicurious.com