A squeeze of citrus and some crunchy nuts take this simple preparation into the "super-yum" category.
- 2 kohlrabi, bulbs peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 big bunch kale or chard, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup salted roasted pistachios, chopped
- Equipment: an adjustable-blade slicer
Very thinly slice kohlrabi with slicer.
Whisk together lime zest and juice, 2 tablespoons oil, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss kohlrabi with dressing.
Finely chop kale. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Sauté garlic until pale golden, about 30 seconds. Add kale by the handful, turning and stirring with tongs and adding more kale as volume in skillet reduces. When all of kale is wilted, sauté with 1/2 teaspoon salt until just tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature. 3Toss kale with kohlrabi and pistachios.